symlinks missing from zipped artifacts

The Pulse Support forums are here so that you can ask questions or leave comments related to pulse. They are watched by Zutubi staff who will endeavour to answer your questions promptly.

symlinks missing from zipped artifacts

Postby digitalfish on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:09 pm

On OS X 10.10 and 10.11, Pulse 2.7.24-25, directory artifacts of the built application are missing the symlinks that exist in .framework directories that are bundled in the app. This has been true for some time (I just confirmed in a March build). Apparently the app runs ok without the symlinks, but I have started signing the app, and removing the symlinks breaks the signature. So I need my frameworks to contain the symlinks that they came with.

In the built .app inside the work folder on our Pulse server (under the DerivedData folder that xcodebuild outputs to), I see that the symlinks are there, but they are missing in the directory artifact, whether I set it to zip, or uncheck zip and download via artifacts > actions > download a zip (icon button).

The symlinks are missing from the projects/########/#######/#######/output/000000003-sign_app/signed_app/MyApp.app, so I guess it's not the zipping itself that is the problem. Also missing in an old (February) executable output .app, before I started a project to do code signing.

If I check the "follow symlinks" box in the directory artifact, the symlinks are replaced with what they point to, which is not what we need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
digitalfish

Re: symlinks missing from zipped artifacts

Postby jason.sankey on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:19 am

Hi,

I believe the issue is with how the files in directory artifacts are captured: this process use an Ant scanner, which AFAIK does not include support for including symlinks (only for following them, which as you say doesn't suit your purpose). The workaround is to archive the directory as part of your build itself, then capture that file as an artifact.

Cheers,
Jason
jason.sankey

Re: symlinks missing from zipped artifacts

Postby digitalfish on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks Jason, good to know.

I think as a workaround, I'll do my own archiving, as you say, but in a separate command-executed script after the build. I am doing two post-build commands anyway for other purposes.

I like how flexible the recipe/command system is in Pulse. I even set up a HipChat build result notification with no code at either end. I just added a command to call curl at this end :-)

--Paul
digitalfish

Return to Pulse Support