New user - how to set up a remote agent?

The Pulse Support forums are here so that you can ask questions or leave comments related to pulse. They are watched by Zutubi staff who will endeavour to answer your questions promptly.

New user - how to set up a remote agent?

Postby dludwig on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi - I am a new eval user. I successfully set up a recipe on the master agent and got it working as expected. My next curiosity was how to get a recipe working on a remote machine. However after installing the remote agent Windows installer on a remote box and adding it as a remote agent on the master server (currently reads "idle") I am not understanding how to make use of a remote agent. How do I get my recipe to cook over there instead of the master server? I don't see any config options or any obvious items in the help file.

Thanks!
dludwig

Re: New user - how to set up a remote agent?

Postby jason.sankey on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi,

What you're looking for is build stages. These define which recipes are built on and on what agents. When you create a project it gets a single default build stage that executes on "any capable" agent (any agent that defines the resources required by the project and stage). The simplest way to make it build on the remote agent is edit the stage and explicitly set it to your new agent. There is a bit more of an intro to this here:

http://confluence.zutubi.com/display/pu ... ing+Builds

If you end up using more than a couple of agents the preferred way to assign build stages to them is via resources and requirements, as it is more declarative and flexible, but for simple testing or small setups explicitly setting the agent works fine.

Cheers,
Jason
jason.sankey

Postby dludwig on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info.

Another related question. Since we are a small operation I was thinking about the license that allows 5 users/10 projects... Would it be ok, if instead of utilizing remote agents, we just installed 2 independent pulse servers each with a master agent? They would have no need to communicate with each other, but we have 2 build guys here and it would be nice if we could each have our own administration facility.

Thanks!
dludwig

Postby jason.sankey on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi,

If you don't mind the extra admin of running two masters then yes using two small team licenses allows you to run two separate instances so you can drive a couple of different machines with Pulse.

Cheers,
Jason
jason.sankey

Return to Pulse Support